Business owners are just as concerned about the environment as anyone else and they want to their part to reduce their carbon footprint. Putting together an environmental policy and making small changes can help you make a big impact. Here are some ways that you can make your business greener and improve your bottom line at the same time.
Encourage employees to adapt greener policies:
- Start within your business and make sure that computers and other unnecessary equipment at the end of the night
- Trade in your garbage cans for recycling bins, paper and other recyclable waste can be kept out of landfills
- Adjust your thermostat, you can adjust the temperature in both the winter and summer and make sure that the staff is dressed for the weather
- Encourage member of the staff to carpool to work
- You can offer incentives for those that choose to cycle to work, make sure there is an area they can secure their bikes
Business travel can be expensive and it is one of the easiest ways to reduce your carbon footprint. You can opt for trains over driving, taking the train uses less fuel and you can get work done while you travel. You can schedule all your meetings within one geographical area at a time, this saves you time and money. You can also choose a hotel chain that embraces green policies. Hotels are usually on board with this, they want to save water and energy costs as much as possible.
If it is your policy to provide your staff with lunch, then try and buy local ingredients as much as possible. If you use a catering company then find one that supports local farmers and fair trade. Even if you only provide coffee in the office you can look for fair trade coffee brands.
Choose your products and suppliers carefully, you can choose office supplies like refilled ink cartridges along with recycled paper. If the building belongs to you then you can install things like motion activated lighting and low energy bulbs. Move your marketing efforts to online rather than having printed marketing materials. In your own products remove any excess packaging or use smaller packaging options.
There are all kinds of ways that you can move to a more greener business, going paperless is a great way to start. Many business have embraced going paperless, you no longer need to send out paper bills or invoices.